Whether there are areas or little accent rugs, the right dimension can tie your design together and make your space look put together.
This area rug size guide may let you know how to place the right one in your home for the greatest aesthetic and functionality. Do not skip the useful information below!
What You Must Know Before Choosing The Right Size Area Rug
There are some tips that you need to keep in mind before deciding to buy any carpet:
- A larger one is better: A few inches difference from expected is not much of a difference; however, if smaller, you will easily notice the fragmentation. If you are stuck with a choice of measurement, remember to choose the larger size.
- Carpets and rooms are proportional: It is easy to understand that you should choose the size and orientation of it to stand proportional to the room.
- Simulate the carpet’s location before buying it: You can use painter’s tape to mark its location first. It makes it easy to shape the space when you put the carpet in and define it to fit.
Area Rug Size In The Market
In the market, carpets come in many different shapes and sizes. They are also used in many places with many purposes suitable for the house. The table below will probably help you easily choose the right item for your family:
|Shapes||Sizes (inches)||Suit for||Aims|
|Rectangle||3×5; 4×6; 5×8; 6×9; 7 ½x9 ½; 8×10; 9×12; 10×13; 12×15||Bedroom; living room; home office; and entryway||Used for defining a special area|
|Round||4; 6; 8; 10 in the diameters||Dining room, bedroom, and entryway||Used for delineating an area|
|Octagon||4; 6; and 8||Foyer and living room||Used for giving a vintage or modern feel|
|Square||4×4; 6×6; 8×8 and 10×10||Large room or seating area||Used for defining seating places|
|Hearth or semi-circle||2×4; 3×5; 4×6||Used for decorating|
Some rules that you need to pay attention to when choosing and owning a rug are:
- Sizes: An area rug should accommodate a space’s primary furniture elements. It should cover the floor except for around 1 to 2 feet between the borders and the walls. Check that the distance between it and the wall is consistent on all four sides.
- Color and pattern: Area rugs are like floor art and are a terrific way to inject fun into a space. If the design is not uniform, consider where you’ll put your furniture. Carpet tiles are available in various colors and designs, allowing you to select what works best.
- Maintenance: You can do certain things to maintain your rug, which makes it look its best. It’d be best to take low-pile and flat-weave ones outside periodically to be shaken out. Natural materials, such as sisal and jute, are to avoid washing so big spills might damage them.
How To Decide Area Rug For Different Rooms
For this space, you must match the furniture and layout with the mat, so the space is open, helping to improve the acoustics. Some sizes you can refer to as:
- 9×12: used for the space 12×18 or more to create open space. You can display most furniture, lights, accessories, and decorations to create unity.
- 8×10: used for the place 11×13 or larger with a floor border of 12 – 18 inches.
- 6×9: for a smaller place than 11×13 with 2 spaces on each side
- 5×7: small living room suitable for a coffee table or in front of a fireplace with 2 stools above.
Most sizes are 8 or 12 long and typically three feet broad or smaller. 6×8 and 3×12 are the most typical runner sizes.
They are perfect for hallways and other locations where traffic flow must be defined. The most common configuration for these rooms is to position furniture along one wall and set it in the center.
It would help if you customized this item to fit the room. Most seven-piece dining seatings may be readily accommodated by a 9 by 12 inches rug. In a tiny flat, choose a carpet that is proportional. For example, a 4 or 6 inch circle might complement a bistro table used for dining.
Spreading a small layer of carpet in the kitchen may make you walk more smoothly.
Some kitchen rugs or mats are made to be comfortable to stand on. Then, you should select a modest one in front of the sink in tiny kitchens whose size allows for a bare floor on both sides of the carpet. Rug pads are a must-have in the kitchen, bathroom, and laundry.
The right size item matches the width and depth of the bed, such as a queen or king bed. The dimensions work best depending on your placement and the room size. An 8×10 or 9×12 rug is a good choice to unify the bed and nightstands.
After this area rug size guide, you may recognize that the most popular type is rectangular and 8×10 in size. The ideal size for your space may be only a few inches bigger or smaller than you anticipate.
However, you may develop your creativity and demand together, which makes your space wonderful after busy days!